Fishing with Jim

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Helping our wounded warriors


As a retired Air Force Officer and Pilot and the son of a retired military veteran, I am very supportive of our military. I am also a disabled veteran, having been severely injured in an F-4 Phantom mishap in 1980 while conducting a training mission. When I heard about Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing (PHWFF) I knew I had to get involved with this program! Ed Nicholson, a retired Navy Captain, came up with this brilliant plan to help our wounded warriors rehabilitate from their combat and active duty injuries by learning fly fishing. The veterans are learning the gear, casting, fly tying, the whole nine yards! And, as I always imagined, there were many who came forward to volunteer their time to help these veterans by creating local and regional chapters. Folks like Ken Morrow and John Bass, who I have met and admire, help these soldiers, sailors and airmen learn the art of fly fishing. I have seen many new fly fishers born from this organization, including their spouses! Yet another Fly Fishing Enthusiast is born! To learn more about the program and how you can help, contact Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing through the link above. They will appreciate your kind and generous offer of a donation of time, money, or better still, both!

No comments: