Fishing with Jim

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Motivational Reading


A number of years ago, I happened upon a book in a book store about the 100 Best Trout Streams in America. I wondered what someone else would pick for the 100 best trout streams in America. So, I found what John Ross, the author, thought the 100 best were. I was so intrigued by the book that I have made a pact with myself to try and fish all 100 streams. This will be quite an endeavor as the streams span the country east and west as well as north and south. John Ross is a very matter-of-fact kind of guy with a heart as big as Texas. He gives a lot to Trout Unlimited (TU) as he is the Virginia TU Council Chairman. Besides running the Virginia Trout Camp each year down in Syria, he also manages and leads some 55 state chapters of TU towards their annual goals. I have fished 23 of the streams in John's book to date and without exception, find his observations of those streams to be dead-on with mine. So far, I think that the streams I have fished from John's book definitely rate in the top 100 streams in America. So, if you are interested in finding some keen observations and anecdotal information on some local or regional streams (as well as others far away on your wish list), I suggest you give this book a read. You won't be disappointed, I promise. I have to warn you that you might encounter the same problems that I did once I read the book. You WILL want to find out more about these streams and maybe, just maybe, you'll want to try and fish them all too!

No comments: